Sunday, April 6, 2014

Post 07: Fee's hair journey

"Natural" or nah?

I actually became interested in hair and looking after it after I relaxed my own on my 17th birthday last year and it started breaking. After I relaxed my hair I still considered myself to have "natural" hair but from watching youtube videos and doing my research, I noticed that people in the 'hair community' didn't often consider relaxed hair as being natural and that's what made me think .. Oh, so when people ask me if my hair is natural, what do I say?

I always thought non-natural hair was basically weave, extensions etc but anyway, long story short - My hair is natural in the sense that it's my own hair growing from my own head but it's just relaxed.

Quick post to give you an insight into my hair journey:


  • Relaxed it on my 17th birthday, March 2013
  • My hair started breaking a little because of laziness and lack of care
  • I didn't like this 
  • The fear of my hair never being thick and afro-ey ever again scared me
  • So I decided to return to natural eventhough I've only relaxed it 2 more times since
  • The last time I relaxed it was December 2013 but I'm transitioning and have new growth
  • I'm doing the "no heat challenge" - no straighteners, hair dryers or any heat 
  • I started in Jan, straightened my hair as a one-off in March now I'm back to the challenge

... And that's pretty much a year of hair detail condensed into 8 bulletpoints, you're welcome :)

No comments:

Post a Comment