Friday, January 8, 2016

Post 02: Get'cho edges gurlll

Hey everyone,
I'm here to talk about edgessss, my "edge laying essentials", how to maintain your edges and my recommended Do's/Donts

What is "laying your edges"?
Laying your edges is when you have your baby hair lay flat, very nicely and sleekly along your forehead. Not a very good description but hey lol.
I love laying my edges and putting my hair into a sleek low bun style, I do it quite often. My edge laying essentials and item "must have's" for anyone laying their hair are: A brush/toothbrush Gel (Eco styler is all I use) Ever since discovering it 2 years ago in New York, I have never looked back!
- I will note alternatives below & satin/silk wrap



 



How do I lay them?
I apply a little eco-styler to my baby hairs and use my brush to keep it down. You can use your brush (or toothbrush for more accuracy) in a swirling motion to create little waves. Wrap your hair with a satin/silk wrap for as long as you need. I tend to wrap mine for approx. 10 mins if I'm in a rush or whilst I'm getting ready. That is how you get the ultimate layyy.
Edge maintenance
Your edges are a very delicate, fragile part of your hair. It is important not to put too much stress or pressure on them, as they can be easily lost. Keep your edges, alongside the rest of your hair, well moisturised and wrapped at night to seal the moisture in. They can break off by constant pulling and heavy hairstyles, if you are suffering from breakage due to this then you must stop doing this immediately and take more care. You can grow back your edges by using castor oil regularly and you can make your own judgement based on how quickly your hair gets dry. I would recommend twice a day, every few days. It is important to be mindful of your edges because if you continue to damage them, the follicles can become destroyed, stopping growth from taking place which is something you do not want to happen. Relaxer also can thin and destroy your hairline so take care.
Do's
Wrap your hair Keep hair moisturised (especially if you're wearing a protective style - braids, weave, wig)
Wear a silk/satin scarf to bed
Take care when combing or finger-detangling hair
DON'T Brush your hairline harshly Do tight/really heavy braids or cornrows (when doing weave)
Pull your hair back into a bun too often Relax your hair too often as relaxers thin it

If your edges are thinning, change the way you handle your hair and the styles you do as this has a big impact. Fix it while it still can be fixed, the last thing you want is to damage it until you can't even grow hair there!

Alternatives

I am aware that eco-styler may not work for all hair types however ALTERNATIVE products that you could give a try are:
ORS Olive Oil edge control
Dr Miracles edge control - I've tried this & prefer it instead of the Olive Oil one
Mizani edge control
Gorilla snot gel

I came across a youtube tutorial for laying down 4C natural hair, wetting your hair beforehand may help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJcZeYI55vM

I also came across this blogpost, a review on Grow and Restore edge treatment:
http://www.nerdabouttown.com/2015/02/dont-let-your-edges-get-snatched.html





Email:- fiona.williams96@gmail.com
Instagram:- fscwilliams_
Twitter:- fscwilliams


No comments:

Post a Comment